Svishtov - possession of the sultana and center of Bulgarian Revival
Later on, western historians register the fact that at that time Svishtov had special statutes possession of the sultana, which brings certain privileges to the town. This was a period of great cultural and economic bloom for the town, as it was the gate of the Ottoman Empire to the west, serving the commercial and cultural relations of the country (then situated on three continents) with the European countries. Svishtov had certain privileges, a fact confirmed by the words of Simperit, a monk and member of the Order of Saint Benedict. He tells a story of how he arrived to the big Turkish town Svishtov on December 27, 1699. The town was possession of the sultana, who was paid 12 000 thalers each year. This is why Svishtov was privileged and enjoyed independence in financial and administrative terms.
In XV century it acquires a major importance for the development of the commercial relations and strengthens its positions of a comfortable wharf and ford on the Danube bank. It is no chance that a well kept road passing through the whole territory of Walachia and called “Svishtov road” (official name of the road in some Romanian historical sources from XIV century) leads to the town.
At the beginning of XVI century the town, being a sultans HAS, pays to the state treasury about 65 000 akche (Ottoman monetary unit) per year more than Tarnovo, Vratsa, Lovech and Shoumen.
At the end of XVIII century Svishtov is a settle сеment of considerable commercial importance and a center of the economic life in the Danubian parts of the empire. The town turns into a center for exchange and export used by Northern Bulgaria, Macedonia and Thrace. Wooden scaffolding with many warehouses the biggest and most up-to-date on the Bulgarian Danube and the Black Sea shores, was constructed at the port.
During the 60s and 70s of the XIX century Svishtov becomes the home of the so called “Sails Danube Fleet”. Together with the steamboats of the Austrian Lloyd, a steamboat of “Danube Vapour Company” is launched along the Danube, which lays the beginnings of the Bulgarian Danube steamboat sailing. The major shareholder of the company is Nikolaki Stanchov.
In the year of the Bulgarian Liberation (1878) the port in Svishtov ranks first in export to ports in England, France Italy and Germany. Due to trade and craftsmanship in XVIII and XIX century the appearance of the town is starting to change. Together with the Oriental buildings characteristic to the Turkish settlements at this period, the rich craftsmen and tradesmen raise solid two-story houses, build churches, fountains, etc. In XIX century the town has 20 000 inhabitants. The quick population growth, the development of the crafts as a result of the commercial exchange, as well as the expansion of the trade relations impose the opening of new schools and economic organizations. The enterprising nobles in Svishtov succeed to attract prominent educationalists and bookmen like Neophyte Bozveli, Emanuil Vaskidovich, Christaki Pavlovich, George Vladikin, Yanko Mustakov, Todor Hrulev, Stefan Popov and many others.
In 1815 in Svishtov Em. Vaskidovich opens the First Bulgarian Secular School. In 1873 Dimitar Shishmanov opens the First Private School in Commerce, and in 1883 Nikola Jivkov founds the First Private Kindergarten “Childrens Wisdom”. In 1884 the First State High school in Commerce opens its gates. This is the place where the first book in mathematics was compiled by Hristaki Pavlovich in 1833, who also is the author of the first book in history “Tsarstvenik” (1835). Svishtov is the birthplace of the first Bulgarian chorus found by Yanko Mustakov in 1868. The first citizen to make an endowment for his town is Fillip Sakelarievich in 1812; dozens of patriotic fellow-townsmen followed his lead, among them Dimitar Hadjivasilev, whose donation was used for the construction of the new building of the State Higher school in Commerce in 1895; Elenka and Kiril Avramovs endowed for the construction of a cultural institute (chitaliste) with theatre. The distinguished tradesman Dimitar Apostolov Tsenov, then living in Switzerland, bequeathed his fortune for the construction and maintenance of an academy of economics of European type, which formed the future aspect and spirit of the town.
Откриване на Нове
Осми фестивал на античното наследство "Орел на Дунав" и откриване на проект "Нове - сърцето на легиона"
СВИЩОВСКИ ЛОЗНИЦИ 2011
Програма на празниците на града "СВИЩОВСКИ ЛОЗНИЦИ 2011"
Fourth Festival of Ancient Heritage
The Fourth Festival of Ancient Heritage Eagle On The Danube is going to be held in May, 27th to 29th, in Svishtov. More information about the event at http://www.EagleOnTheDanube.org